- I spread your idea because it makes me feel generous.
- ...because I feel smart alerting others to what I discovered.
- ...because I care about the outcome and want you (the creator of the idea) to succeed.
- ...because I have no choice. Every time I use your product, I spread the idea (Hotmail, iPad, a tattoo).
- ...because there's a financial benefit directly to me (Amazon affiliates, mlm).
- ...because it's funny and laughing alone is no fun.
- ...because I'm lonely and sharing an idea solves that problem, at least for a while.
- ...because I'm angry and I want to enlist others in my outrage (or in shutting you down).
- ...because both my friend and I will benefit if I share the idea (Groupon).
- ...because you asked me to, and it's hard to say no to you.
- ...because I can use the idea to introduce people to one another, and making a match is both fun in the short run and community-building.
- ...because your service works better if all my friends use it (email, Facebook).
- ...because if everyone knew this idea, I'd be happier.
- ...because your idea says something that I have trouble saying directly (AA, a blog post, a book).
- ...because I care about someone and this idea will make them happier or healthier.
- ...because it's fun to make another teen snicker about prurient stuff we're not supposed to see.
- ...because the tribe needs to know about this if we're going to avoid an external threat.
- ...because the tribe needs to know about this if we're going to maintain internal order.
- ...because it's my job.
- I spread your idea because I'm in awe of your art and the only way I can repay you is to share that art with others.
Friday, October 29, 2010
A great post from Seth Godin on the reasons why we spread ideas.
Posted by Wes at 12:12 PM